Online learning for Seeking Safety - Course #1
Course #1 -- Seeking Safety: An evidence-based model for trauma and substance abuse
This is course #1 of the 6 courses of online learning available related to Seeking Safety. You can do as few or many of the 6 courses as you choose. You will receive a certificate if you pass the course and you can also obtain continuing education credits (CEs) if desired. Course #1 has 2 CEs available. This course provides a set of questions that relate to different parts of the DVD, along with "Why is this important" and "Practical Tips" related to the questions. The goal is to help provide educational content that helps to engage you in the content of this DVD. The course will suggest specific timepoints for you to pause to answer the questions. If your computer or DVD player does not have a time counter, use a free online stopwatch timer such as www.timeanddate.com/stopwatch/
(b) this online learning does not have video content-- it is a set of questions that relate to different parts of the video to help you identify whether you understand key aspects of Seeking Safety.
Course #1 summary
The goal of this presentation is to describe current understanding about treatment of clients with co-occurring trauma and substance abuse problems. This is a population that is typically considered challenging to treat. The 2-hour training video is delivered by Lisa Najavits, the developer of Seeking Safety, Topics covered include background on trauma and substance abuse (including rates, the typical client, models and stages of treatment, and clinical dilemmas); an overview of Seeking Safety (including implementation and frequently-asked questions). The training video, titled "Overview of Seeking Safety" includes clips from real clients and clinicians, as well as powerpoint. The training is a 2-hour version of her standard initial training on Seeking Safety.
1) To describe rates and clinical dilemmas in co-occurring trauma and substance abuse.
2) To provide an overview of the Seeking Safety model for trauma and substance abuse.
3) To identify specific counseling strategies for clients with trauma and substance abuse.
1) Certificates and continuing education credits (CEs). The course can be done either with or without (CEs) and the content is identical. You can earn 2 CEs for this course. A list of CE types available can be found here. When you pass a course you can print your certificate of completion, If you ordered CEs please send us the certificates and we will issue the CEs within 7-10 business days via email; the non-CE certificate will just state that you completed the course.
2) Timing. Your login information to access the guide will be sent within 5 business days and then you will have one year from that date to access and complete the course(s). After that, you will not be registered and would need to order them again. You will be able to print your certificate for any course you pass. Please print certificates immediately but no more than one month after you complete the course(s) as you will no longer be registered after that. Also we will retain your certificate for one year, but be sure to retain it on your end as well.
3) Procedure. All courses are online. Once you purchase any course, you will be emailed a login and password and you can do it at any time. However, please remember that you will need the material for the course you select. See the first paragraph of this item description for specifics.
4) If you are purchasing the courses for someone other than yourself: in Notes to Seller on last screen of check-out, please provide the participant's first and last name, and e-mail address. If you are signing up multiple users, please provide all first and last names and e-mail addresses of users. This allows us to process your order as quickly as possible.
5) Important: courses, once assigned, cannot be shared with others (it's one person per course registration). But you can request to transfer the course(s) to someone else for a $10 fee; email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send a link for to pay the transfer fee. Please note that you can only transfer a course the original person did not complete and it needs to be within the original one-year time frame allowed for the course completion (but, hey, a year is a long time!).
6) Note for international orders: Your order will show a 'shipping' charge but we will immediately refund that when your order comes in. Our store automatically creates the charge for international orders due to how shipping is set up but we guarantee you will be refunded that shipping charge.